In talking to a lot of people who have their own businesses I often hear I know everything about my business, but the phone isn’t ringing. What’s wrong?
It’s a problem that almost everyone in business that isn’t a marketing expert faces. You can be the best plumber, tax accountant, or doctor in the world, but if you don’t know how to get the word out–how to market your product or service–there’s no way you can get the customers you need.
Here are six essential steps to follow to get great marketing that doesn’t cost a fortune.
1. Define your market.
Decide who your main customers are. Find out all you can about them. Look at your past sales and see any commonality and don’t be afraid to ask them questions to find out more about what you can do to help them and find similar prospects.
2. Find out what media your target market uses.
Is it TV, Radio, Newspapers, Magazines or the Internet?
3. Limit the media you use to what you can afford to use consistently.
The key to effective marketing is consistency. You have to hit the audience with your message again, and again, and again.
Don’t blow your entire marketing budget on a one-shot try. Choose a less expensive type of media that you can afford to use week after week. That’s how you get marketing success.
4. Sell the main benefit of your product or service. Make your marketing geared to your clients.
How does your product or service improve your customer’s life? Talk to your customer from their own perspective.
5. If you don’t have a big budget, use FREE mediums such as Social Networks. If you have a good public interest piece or newsworthy, call your local news editor and try to get them to interview you.
6. You have information that is unique to you and your business. Give some of it away as newsletters or white papers. This will let people know you are real and knowledgeable. Even if they won’t buy from you today, they’ll remember you tomorrow.
As always, please contact me if we can be of any help to you in your marketing efforts.
Yada Yada Marketing, Inc.